There I was, sitting with my six-week-old twins next to me watching my two-year-old daughter spin, dance, and sing, happy as could be. Four months earlier, I was terrified of being a mom to twins. I worried my daughter (and I) would suffer from being stuck in our house alone all day with two newborns.
But contrary to my worries, I sat with my massive iced coffee watching my girl twirl gleefully in music class while my babes slept.
Being a new mom to twins can be isolating and lonely. Being a new mom to twins with a preschool-aged singleton can be even more so.
As a mom to a three-year-old and 19 months old twins, finding safe and fun activities for everyone is vital. Especially when I take them out on my own (gulp).
Thankfully we live in an incredibly twin-friendly city. In my short time as a mother to twins, I have discovered some fantastic twin-friendly activities in Wichita. I’m excited to share them with you fellow Wichita twin mom, so you can get out occasionally and feel a little less alone!
Below are some tried and true boredom busting, sanity-saving twin activities I’ve found to be manageable on my own.
Easy Indoor Activities To Do in Wichita With Twins
- My Gym: MyGym is an enclosed, safe space offering a physical outlet for littles. The teachers always have open arms waiting to hold a baby or help load and unload children before and after class. The bonus is they offer a multiples discount!
- Wichita Sports Forum Sand Play: This is an excellent option for multiples because it’s cheap and incredibly safe. For just $2, you can take your littles to the enclosed sand area where they can roam, investigate, and play for hours.
- Music Together: These classes are great for siblings; classes are held in an enclosed room where children are free to move, play, sing, and dance as they wish. It’s also stroller friendly and offers sibling discounts.
- Andover Library Story Time: This storytime is perfect as it’s in an enclosed room and includes several age groups. Plus, it’s a stroller-friendly location, and there is a children’s play area for kiddos to use after storytime is over.
- Cabela’s: This is a simple and free activity to do with littles contained in a stroller or wagon. You can waste an hour walking around, looking at animals, fish tanks, and grabbing a snack.
- Exploration Place: When I take my twins and pre-schooler to exploration place, I utilize our stroller and the enclosed kids’ play area. I can keep an eye on all three of my littles while they explore and enjoy!
Easy Outdoor Activities To Do in Wichita With Twins
- Andover Park: With clean bathrooms and fantastic equipment, we spend many hours happily playing at Andover park. I do bring a stroller, but feel safe letting my littles roam.
- Sedgwick County Park: The sizable boundless playground at Sedgwick County Park is gated and has nearby bathrooms.
- Great Plains Nature Center: This beautiful, stroller-friendly trail and nature center is perfect for making stops to let littles get out and safely explore (It’s also a good spot for snacks:).
- Maize Splash Pad: While the splash pad is not fully enclosed, it opens up to a park and a field. The littles are free to run and splash and mama doesn’t have to chase them constantly.
- Botanica: I load my twins up in the stroller and make a beeline for the children’s garden. We can spend hours investigating everything there is to see while everyone is within eyesight!
- Tanganyika: This perfect sized wildlife zoo is easy to navigate, and with animal interactions, my twins and pre-schooler stay mesmerized for hours. Thanks to the zoo layout, my littles can run around and play and I don’t worry about losing them!
Tips for Going Out on Your Own With Twins
- Map out parking and walking for all your locations.
- Always have a stroller. I cannot emphasize this enough; your stroller is your lifeline, friends.
- Make sure you have snacks, diapers, your twins’ comfort items, drinks, and extra shoes/clothes for each little. I keep a tote with all of the above in my SUV at all times now.
- Be prepared to leave at any moment and know your exit strategy. You may have to bolt your location at any time.
- Have an option B in your back pocket. There have been several occasions where I arrive somewhere with the best intentions, but realize it just won’t work, so plan B it is.
Having twins is a beautiful, fun, intimidating, exhausting adventure. It may seem impossible to go out and have fun with them, but it’s not. You’ve got this, mama!
Make sure you never miss out: subscribe to our weekly Wichita Moms Blog newsletter! Be the first to know about our exclusive events, special offers and discounts, neighborhood group activities and, of course, local resources and parenting voices powered by local Wichita moms!