Emporia, KS is a 90-minute drive from Wichita and offers an easy day trip option for families looking to get out and do something different!
Fun Things to Do with Kids in Emporia KS
- Visit the David Traylor Zoo: This small zoo has a variety of animals, including lions, bears, and monkeys. Best of all, admission is free!
- Explore the Emporia Public Library: The library has a children’s section with books, games, and other resources. It also offers educational programs and events for kids.
- Play at the Jones Aquatic Center: This pool has a variety of water features, including slides and a lazy river.
- Take a trip to the Emporia State University Nature Trail: This nature trail has a variety of hiking and biking paths, as well as a playground and a picnic area.
- Visit the Lyon County Historical Museum: This museum has a collection of artifacts and displays related to the history of Lyon County.
- Take a trip to the Emporia Farmers Market: If you’re visiting in season, this market has a variety of locally grown produce, as well as food vendors and other items.
- Go to the Emporia Arts Center: This center hosts a variety of art exhibits and educational programs for kids.
- Emporia Family Fun Center: Try your hand at mini-golf, go-carts and batting cages at the Emporia Family Fun Center. Open March through November.
- Flint Hills Lanes: Hit the lanes and take the kids bowling!
- Peter Pan Park: Over 50 acres to explore! A disc gold course, splash pad, playground, a four-acre lake, tennis and horseshoe courts, a ball field, and plenty of picnic tables and shelters throughout the park.
- Peterson Planetarium: Learn about the solar system, gaze at stars and participate in STEM activities.
- Rollers Skating Rink: Lace up & skate or enjoy Nerf Wars!
- Trox Gallery & Gifts is a fun spot to shop!
- Emporia Imaginarium lets kids explore STEM in an engaging makerspace. Sign up for a class if you’re planning your trip in advance, and don’t miss their store!
- Sertoma Miniature Train & Soden Park: The Sertoma miniature train is a favorite of children young and old. Located in Soden’s Grove Parkit operates from June 1 to August 31. The train follows a circular track for 1/3 mile through Soden’s Grove Park near the Cottonwood River.