I don’t know about you, but to me, July is a month of family and celebrations. With summer in full swing and the Fourth of July, this month calls for outdoor fun with friends and family. Did you know that July is also National Picnic Month? What better way to seize this season than with an outdoor feast? The inside of your home’s dining atmosphere can get a bit boring, so why not change it up and dine al fresco with the family or for a date with your mate!
First, choose a location. The Wichita area offers several great locations to picnic:
- Andover Central Park – 1607 E Central Ave, Andover
- Augusta Lake/Robert Shryock Park – 2923 Ohio St, Augusta
- College Hill Park – 304 Circle Dr, Wichita
- Great Plains Nature Center & Chisholm Creek Park – 6232 E 29th St N, Wichita
- Botanica – 701 Amidon St, Wichita
- Riverside area/Keeper of the Plains – 339 Veterans Parkway, Wichita
- OJ Watson Park – 3022 S McLean Blvd, Wichita
- Pawnee Prairie Park – 2625 S Tyler Rd, Wichita
- Sedgwick County Park – 6501 W 21st St, Wichita
Meal planning is next up! Finger foods obviously make for the easiest meals, but some of the picnic sets mentioned above do offer reusable utensils, so you can go that route as well.
These recipe ideas I’ve listed are finger foods, keeping it more simple.
Family picnic meal ideas:
- Hummus with pita bread or crackers
- Fresh fruit and dip (recipe)
- Cut veggies and ranch
- Tortilla pinwheel sandwiches (recipe)
- Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies (recipe)
- Trail mix (recipe)
- Fruit infused water (recipe) or juice boxes
Date Night Picnics
- Cured and smoked meats such as salami, pepperoni, turkey and ham
- Hit the specialty cheese isle for some fancy fromage
- Baguette, pita bread, or crackers
- Fresh and dried fruits
- Spreads such as olive tapenade or hummus
- Wine or sangria (recipe)
- Sparkling water
Now that you’ve got it all planned out, get out there and enjoy in the open air!
Happy National Picnic Month! We hope you enjoy what the summer brings to you and your family! Where are your favorite local spots to picnic and meals to take along? Comment and let us know!