Kansas summers are H-O-T, and what better way to stay cool than to splash around, take a dip in a local pool, or head to the beach! The Wichita area has some great lakes to explore with the family, and we have rounded up those with kid-friendly swimming beaches.
Two things to consider if you are not from Kansas:
1. The lakes in Kansas are not clear, and this takes some getting used to if you are not from here. They are still safe and cool and so much fun!
2. Before you go, make sure to check the KDHE’s algae advisories. *As of July 2020, Cheney Reservoir has a label of “Warning” meaning it is not safe to swim.
Lakes with Swimming Beaches for Kids In and Around Wichita
Santa Fe Lake – 25 minutes from Wichita
– Amenities include: boating, fishing, two swimming beaches, camping, picnicking, biking, hiking, waterfall.
– $8 day pass or $50 season pass
– 11367 SW Shore Drive Augusta, KS 67010
Lake Afton – 30 minutes from Wichita
– Amenities include: 3 swimming areas, amenities include: boating, skiing, fishing, and camping.
– $5 day permit.
– 24600 W. 39th St. S. Goddard, KS
Harvey County Lake – 35 minutes from Wichita
– Amenities include: camping, fishing, boating, two swimming lakes, playgrounds, trails, hiking, biking, horseback riding.
– no fee for swimming only
– East Lake
314 N East Lake Rd
Newton, KS 67114
– West Lake
2733 West Park Rd.
Burrton, KS 67020
El Dorado – 45 minutes from Wichita
– Amenities include: hiking trails, camping, fishing, swimming, two beaches: Walnut River Beach and Bluestem Point.
– $5 day permit.
– 618 NE Bluestem Rd. El Dorado, KS
Cheney Lake (Reservoir) – 45 minutes from Wichita
– Amenities include: sailing, wind surfing, fishing, wildlife watching, swimming (stay close to the west shore lines).
– $5 day pass. *swim beaches as of July 2020 closed due to algae
– 16000 N.E. 50TH ST., Cheney, KS 67025
Fall River – 1 hour and 17 minutes from Wichita
– Amenities include: beach in Quarry Bay, playgrounds, 6 hiking trails, camping, fishing.
– 2381 Casner Creek Rd Fall River, KS
Kanopolis – 1 hour and 50 minutes from Wichita
– Amenities include: hiking trails, swimming at South Shore and Langley Swimming Beach, fishing, camping, beautiful site-seeing, playgrounds, kids fishing pond.
– 200 Horsethief Rd, Marquette, KS 67464
Elk City State Park – 2 hours from Wichita
– Amenities include: boating, a swim beach, camping, playgrounds, and hiking trails. The lake area offers picturesque views ranging from open prairie to wooded hills and limestone bluffs.
– 4825 Squaw Creek Rd, Independence, KS 67301
Wilson State Park – 2 hours from Wichita
– Considered to be “one of the most beautiful in the state of Kansas”
– Amenities include: trail, camping, boating, swimming beaches located at the Minooka Park Beach and Lucas Park Beach.
– No fees.
– 3 State Park Road, Sylvan Grove, KS 67481
Tuttle Creek State Park – 2 hours and 24 minutes from Wichita
– Amenities include: boating, picnicking, fishing, camping, hiking, biking, cabins for rent. River Pond Area has swimming beach.
– 5800 River Pond Rd A, Manhattan, KS 66502