Happy Holidays! If you are looking for holiday specific things to do with kids, light tours, or Santa sightings, check out the Ultimate Guide to Christmas and Holiday Events in Wichita. For even more fun stuff happening around town, keep scrolling!
We are thrilled to bring this resource in collaboration with some of our favorite community partners: Botanica and Sedgwick County Zoo! To make planning easy, we are excited to highlight their December events below:
November 29-January 4, hours vary. With over two million lights, Illuminations transforms every single garden into a different themed holiday display or uniquely lit botanical setting. Thousands of luminaries light your way as you stroll through the paths and gardens, entertained by carolers and live music every night. VIP tickets available Dec. 16-20. $30 per person includes early admission to skip the line for Santa and the carousel and early parking.
December 9-12, 5:30 – 7:00pm, $18 adults and $14 children, $2 discount for members. Enjoy dinner and crafts with Santa and his elves, and walk through the gardens to take in the wondrous lights of Illuminations.
December 14, 2:00-5:00pm, $45/$40 members, ages 6+. During this gift-making workshop children will make different gifts for their family or friends with gift-wrapping included! Holiday snacks provided.
December 8, 4pm, $20/$15 members. Learn the techniques for taking photographs of holiday lights with local photographer Rick McPherson. The class will start indoors and then continue outdoors at sunset for a photo walk through the gardens with Rick.
December 19, 10:30am, included with admission. Bring the kids and your holiday cheer to a special Story Time event in Lotus Hall! Santa and Mrs. Claus will share their favorite holiday stories, fingerplays and holiday songs.
Sedgwick County Zoo
Migrate to the Zoo for Winter Wednesdays! Every Wednesday from November through February, general admission tickets are only $3 per person.
December 18, 6-8pm, $40/$35 members. Enjoy animal- and nature-themed wines and delicious hors d’ouevres during this upscale, educational, 21+ event.
Junior Behind the Scenes Tours
December 21, 2:00-3:30pm, $9/$7 members, Grades 1-5. Elementary school students learn about what happens beyond the “Employees & Animals Only” signs. After classroom time, students will go behind the scenes to explore the area and maybe even see an expert in action.
December 2019 Events in WichitaThere are no upcoming events at this time.
More events will be added as the month goes on – check back soon!
If you have an event to add, you can do that here.
WMB Neighborhood Group Meet-Ups
Wichita Neighborhood Mom Groups are having all kids of activities in your neighborhood and connecting online to share recommendations and advice. Click here to join your Neighborhood Group, and see below for what’s going on near you this month.
Derby/South Wichita Group is exchanging cookies on December 4.
North Wichita/Bel Aire Group is having a cookie exchange on December 5.
East Wichita/Andover Moms are meeting up at the Rusted Rooster on December 11 and at Chicken’n’Pickle on December 19.
Preschool Playdates Group is watching Frozen 2 on December 3.
Regularly Scheduled Programming
Many local places have recurring events that are great for moms and families, and you can find them here:
- Aviate has Junior Jump Monday through Friday for the younger crowd.
- Botanica has a Garden Storytime every Thursday morning, in the Children’s Library or weather permitting in the gardens.
- Sensory Friendly play at Exploration Place on the second Sunday of every month
- Urban Air has Jumparoo Toddler Jump every Tuesday and Friday.
- Home Depot has a free Kids’ DIY workshop on the first Saturday of every month.
- Family Night at Museum of World Treasures is the first Thursday of the month.
- Every Friday the Kansas Aviation Museum has a special ticket price for families.
- Make ICT has free access to their makerspace every other Monday.
- Kansas Children’s Service League has a support group for Parents of Special Needs Children on the third Monday of every month.
- Moxi Junction hosts story and craft time every Tuesday and Wednesday at 10:30am.