Things To Do With Active Toddlers In & Around Wichita, KS
This resource is for the parents of on-the-move toddlers! There are some great active tot-spots to visit around town where your little ones can get out all that energy and work on their motor skills. This is not an all inclusive list, but simply some places we have visited our own toddlers.
Toddler Friendly Parks in Wichita
By “toddler friendly”, we mean it’s possible to stay on the ground supervising while your littles do the climbing. Below are some great options – be sure to let us know if you have other ideas!
- Augusta’s Robert Shyrock Park (also known as “The Castle Park”) – half of this castle park is toddler friendly and the other half isn’t bad either, bonus points for all enclosed! And there is even a splash park right next door. Pack a picnic lunch and call it a day.
- Sedgwick County Park / Boundless Playground – near the Sedgwick County Zoo, this is a favorite park on the west side for kids of all ages, especially toddlers. There is an enclosed area, baby swings, special two-person swings, a musical area, and the “boundless” rubber flooring making it safe for little falls.
- Bel Aire Park – has a nice play area plus a sand area with swings!
- Bel Aire’s Eagle Lake Park – Great slides and lots of up/down activity plus sand! Great walking area too around a lake nearby.
- Andover’s Cornerstone Park – This was awesome, lots of slides and up/down stairs, great grassy area and covered picnic area plus a nice neighborhood nearby for a walk.
- Riverside Park – Has a fountain/water play area plus a playground with a few toddler friendly pieces. Bonus: There is a a mini zoo with feeding times daily!
Toddler Friendly Indoor Play Areas in Wichita
Regardless of the weather outside, our city has some great indoor options too that range in prices. This is great for rainy days and during the winter, as well as a break from the heat.
- Town East Mall Play Area – Some tunnels, some climbing, a little slide. It can get busy, but the area is enclosed which is perfect for toddlers.
- Chick Fil A – We love this place – a fun meal plus time in the play area is awesome.
- My Gym – has “Practice & Play” or open gym a few times a week and if you aren’t a member the entry fee is $9.00 per kiddo and you get 1 hour. They can tumble, jump and get all that energy out in a safe environment. We love this place!
- YMCA Pools – Indoor all year, outdoor waterparks are seasonal. This would take a membership or cost $18 for a family day pass. It’s worth it for a membership for the time that the waterparks are open – apparently a lot of people do this!
- Jumpy Jump Land – has open jump sessions for just $5, which is awesome. It’s basically a room full of inflatables. The jump sessions are often throughout the week, but this is a great option worth mentioning if it works for your schedule.
- Get Air Wichita, Urban Air, and Aviate are all great indoor bounce options when you’re looking for some indoor activities.
Check out our popular 25 Best Places for Indoor Fun in Wichita for more ideas for toddlers and big kids alike!
Toddler Friendly Attractions In Wichita
For special occasions (or if you have a membership, more often) going to a Wichita area attraction is great. We have museums, zoos and more.
- Sedgwick County Zoo is a great place to walk and explore with toddlers, and getting a membership definitely pays for itself. We had a membership for one year and will probably pick one up again in the future. There is of course the animals, plus some great interactive exhibits like the petting zoo and feeding the giraffes.
- Exploration Place is a great place with plenty of space for strollers and for toddlers to wander around, programs for preschoolers, and it’s Kansas Kids Connect enclosed space (for ages 5 and under).
- Botanica is also a great place to walk and explore. Botanica is a hit with toddlers as there is a big kid area with musical instruments and other fun tot stuff. They also offer a very reasonable membership (that gets you into other gardens around the country for free!)
- All Star Wichita -The rides! This is such a local treasure and offers rides for littles and big kids alike. Plus there is an arcade.
- Tanganyika Wildlife Park – Another attraction that we love! It’s personal and interactive and has a really fun playground for all ages.
This article was originally written in 2015 and has been updated.