This article is sponsored by the Wichita Public Library.
As the summer fun begins to wind down and you start thinking about back-to-school shopping, make sure you stop by your Wichita Public Library to get the most important school supply – your FREE public library card!
You know your library card gives you access to books, movies and music that helps with learning and entertainment, but there is more that your library card can unlock. Kids and teens (and even college students) have access to research tools, supplemental educational resources and more.
Let’s talk about them!
The Kids page on the Library’s website has a bunch of information about great resources:
- Homework Help: Find resources can assist your educational needs. These resources include AR BookFinder, Discovery Kids, CoolMath, Exploratorium and LearningExpress.
- Playaway Launchpads: Pre-loaded with content for kids and designed with a simple, easy-to-use interface, Launchpad tablets are made to be passed from one set of hands to the next. No download time. No need for Wi-Fi. Access to powerful content is simple as turning on each device – anytime, anywhere.
- STEAM To Go! Kits: Bring these creative and educational STEAM kits to your home! Each STEAM kit comes with different themed activities and books that take learning to a whole new level. These STEAM kits are intended for grades 4+ but can be adjusted according to different age levels.
- Supporting Developing Readers: Once children master reading sight words, it can be difficult to select “just right” reads for them. You can support your developing readers by adding to the picture books and early readers that they already love!
The Teens page on the website also provides great resources to help teens succeed in school:
- The Library’s extensive collection of research databases includes a great number geared towards teens.
- CQ Researcher provides in-depth coverage of current issues through reports written by experienced journalists.
- Black Freedom Struggle in the United States provides primary source documents including historical newspaper articles, pamphlets, diaries, correspondence and more from specific time periods in U.S. history marked by the opposition African Americans have faced on the road to freedom.
- Hispanic Life in America chronicles the experience and impact Hispanic Americans have made as recorded by the news media.
- Issues and Controversies explores hundreds of hot topics in politics, government, business, society, education and popular culture.
- Whether it’s recording a podcast, editing a social media video for your startup, or experimenting with music, the Advanced Learning Library’s AV Studio has the equipment and software you need. Designed for individuals and small groups, this free-to-use audiovisual recording and editing space is reserved on a first-come/first-served basis beginning one week before the desired date.
And finally, we have to talk about the Library of Things!
Our “Library of Things” collection is a non-traditional library collection offering a variety of equipment you can borrow for at-home use. Materials include: anatomical models, binoculars, Chromebooks, Finch robots, hotspots, microscopes, radon detectors, telescopes, and more.
Getting a library card is quick and easy! You can visit any one of the seven Wichita Public Library locations to register your kids or teens, or visit the Library’s website to learn more about what you can get with your library card!