September 2021 – In honor and reflection of the 20 year anniversary of the events that unfolded on 9/11/01, join Wichita Mom as we thank our first responders through a volunteer event in partnership with the United Way of the Plains. This volunteer opportunity is for the whole family, kids included, and a wonderful way to show support to our community and teach our kids the importance of giving back.
Saturday, September 18th | 9-10:30am
United Way GIV Warehouse | 432 N. Washington (corner of Central & Washington)
First Responder Appreciation Family Volunteer Event with Wichita Mom & United Way of the Plains – In honor of the 20th anniversary of 9/11.
– All attendees MUST reserve a spot as there is limited space.
– United Way requires masks, and they will be required at this event.
All ages welcome! These family volunteer events are meant to include kids of all ages – be sure to check out the schedule below to determine if this event is a good fit for your family!
What to Expect:
Check out our “rough schedule” below (we are still working out the details with our community heroes and first responders, so order of activities may change slightly).
- Welcome & Overview with United Way
- Families will be put into groups and will rotate through volunteer stations. Stations include: 1. Making first responder kits (putting together bags of needed items, kids making cards, decorating bags, etc.) 2. Creating Comfort Kits for Kids in Crisis (these are special kits that WPD hands out to kids in need). 3. GIV Warehouse Sorting and Organizing.
- Fun with First Responders: this event really is about our civil heroes and first responders, and we are excited to have some fun with them that morning!
These volunteer events fill very quickly as we have very limited capacity. We do ask if you reserve your spot and find that you are unable to attend to please let us know asap (we typically have waiting lists)!
Please RSVP to reserve your spot by clicking the link below:
United Way of the Plains’ mission is improving lives by identifying community needs and mobilizing resources to meet those needs through a network of capable and innovative partnerships. The GIV Warehouse offers area non-profits the opportunity to shop for free one time a month, and more than 100 non-profits shop at the GIV Warehouse annually! The GIV Warehouse obtains truckloads of merchandise from major retailers and smaller donations from local businesses. The GIV Warehouse is just one way United Way of the Plains gives back to local non-profits.