Christmastime is my family’s favorite time of year to do movie night. We have so many movies that we love watching over and over again every year. The other thing that we love to do around Christmas is bust out our favorite books about Christmas. Who am I kidding? We read these all year round! Our oldest son is 7 and is reading now so it’s fun to have him read these books that we’ve always read to him. Here are five of our family’s favorite Christmas books.
- Santa is Coming to Wichita. This book is extra special because it shows Santa Claus making his holiday stops around our town. The kids love this because they get to see places that they recognize and know is local. It’s so fun to see the magic in their eyes when they see Santa and his reindeer flying over downtown Wichita.
- Little Blue Truck’s Christmas. I’ve been reading “Little Blue Truck” to my oldest son since he was six months old. We’re big fans of Little Blue. Since Christmas is our favorite time of year, we were so excited to read about Little Blue Truck’s adventure delivering trees to all of his friends. It’s even more fun because the lights on the tree light up at the end of the book!
- Pete the Cat Saves Christmas. Pete the Cat is another familiar face when it comes to books. We love Pete the Cat in our house. The rhyming always holds our kiddos’ attention. Pete gets to help Santa by delivering some presents in this book.
- How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas? Any books about Christmas and dinosaurs is always a win. We love reading about these curious dinosaurs as they anticipate Christmas and how they celebrate. The illustrations in this book are amazing too!
- How to Catch an Elf. Kiddos are always trying to get a peak of Santa bringing Christmas gifts. Seeing all of the different traps that children set in houses trying to catch Santa and his elf is very exciting and entertaining. This book rhymes and it has illustrations that are sure to get some laughs.
On top of reading these books (and more) my husband and I started the tradition when our first child was born to get a recordable storybook. Some years it has been a Christmas book, but it isn’t always. Our kids love these books and listen to them often especially if my husband goes out of town. Then they can still have Daddy read them a book before bed. Christmas movie nights are so fun but, be sure to check these books out and snuggle up with some hot chocolate by the Christmas tree!