Sometimes a trip to the zoo, playdates with friends, or a day at the science museum just isn’t possible…but the kids still need activities that offer stimulation without screens (bonus if they also provide fresh air and sunshine!). Here over 30 games and activities to keep kids entertained in the safety of your own driveway or backyard.
Yes, this one is obvious – so you probably already have it on hand!
- Choose a theme and create a group mural
- Practice writing their names or the alphabet (younger kids)
- Draw roads and towns for their cars & trucks to drive on
- Grab a ball and school them in 4-Square
Use the garden hose to wash it all off at the end of the day, and a fresh canvas will be waiting for you in the morning!
Non-Contact (No touching!) Games
If you’re trying to avoid physical contact (or an all-out brawl!) send everyone in to the back yard for a few rounds of these classics:
- Simon Says
- Mother, May I?
- Red Light, Green Light
- I Spy
- 20 Questions
- Create a nature scavenger hunt
- Set up an obstacle course
- Choose a popular song and choreograph a dance – film it with your phone so they can watch themselves.
It’s (almost) free and it doesn’t stain, so be sure to make the most of water play if the weather cooperates.
- Car wash (get a bucket of water and a paint brush and let them “wash” their vehicles)
- “Paint” with water. Again, just get some water & paintbrushes and let them paint on the driveway or patio. When the water dries, you have a clean slate to start again.
- Have a water balloon fight or hang water balloons from trees like piñatas
- Set up some targets and take aim with water guns
Yard Games for Families
Looking for something novel to keep your kids’ attention? Order some of these games from Amazon to keep everyone entertained and contained.
- Giant Jenga
- Ladder Toss
- Giant Connect 4
- Bean Bag Toss
- Corn Hole
- Lawn Bowling
- Bocce Ball