As women and mamas, we have lots of moods. I mean, we’re rock stars, but we’re still human.
There are seasonal moods (pool season and snuggle season), and different times of the month (hormonal and…hormonal.) We also have so many different activities – from a glass of wine in the tub, to working out like a mother.
Thank goodness, each mama-mood has its own soundtrack. And thank goodness, we’ve got a variety of music for each!
Do you need to freshen up your playlists or get some motivation via new tunes?
I asked a few Wichita Moms from various backgrounds, ages and personalities what music they turned up for each emotion. No matter what your tastes, there’s something here for everyone’s attitude.
We got you, girl! Whether you are already happy or you wanna be, click here to get a playlist of our happy songs.
Ok, be forewarned. We. Are. Moms. We like to think we are pretty cool *dusts off shoulders.* But we listen to kids’ soundtracks and show tunes, pop and kickin’ it old school. So this is what we turn on for kitchen dancing. Though maybe in earbuds. Just because we’re moms doesn’t mean ALL of our music is for tiny ears.
- “Happy”, Pharrell Williams
- “Can’t Stop the Feeling”, Justin Timberlake
- “Uptown Funk”, Bruno Mars
- “The Greatest Show”, Hugh Jackman
- “The Edge of Glory”, Lady Gaga
- “Calling You”, Blue October
- “Homegrown”, Zac Brown Band
- “Love Grows (Where Rosemary Goes)”, Edison Lighthouse
- “Listen to the Music”, Doobie Brothers
Get the whole list on this Spotify playlist.
Mad Workout Music
No judgment. Feel your feelings, sister. Maybe you need some rhythm to work through something. I’ve been there.
Here are our suggested beats:
- “Lose Yourself”, Eminem
- “No Diggity”, Blackstreet Dr. Dre
- “Family Affair”, Mary J. Bilge
- “Cool My Heels”, Nikki Yanofsky
- “What Little Girls Are Made Of”, Carrie Underwood
- “This Ain’t My Mama’s Broken Heart”, Miranda Lambert
- “Black Betty”, Ram Jam
- The Black Keys
- The Killers
- 50 Cent
- Pearl Jam
Music for When You’re Sad or Anxious
You’re doing ok, and then something hits you. It could be an event, a person, or nothing in particular. Oh, friend. I’m convinced that music is the universal language of the hurting soul. Give these a try…
- “Waves”, A Treehouse Wait
- “Voice of Truth”, Casting Crowns
- “Broken Together”, Casting Crowns
- “The Changing Garden of Mr. Bell”, Raffi
- “Teardrops on My Guitar”, Taylor Swift
- “Be Kind to Yourself”, Andrew Peterson
- “Peace in the Valley”, Jill Phillips
- “Help Me Make It Through the Night”, Willie Nelson
- “You Belong to Me”, Dean Martin
- “Make You Feel My Love”, Adele
Music for Relaxing
Yeah, mama! Turn your troubles into bubbles in that tub. Hang out with hubby. Background music as you read your book. You deserve this time to chill and I want to make sure you don’t waste time looking for a soundtrack.
- “Linger”, Cranberries
- “Push”, Steve Moakler
- “Sitting on the Dock of a Bay”, Otis Redding
- John Coltrane
- Miles Davis
- Norah Jones
- Diana Krall
- Etta James
- Wax Tailor
- Yo-Yo Ma
- Water sounds