How & Where to Get A Passport in Wichita KS

If you’re planning an overseas vacation or business trip, you’ll need to apply for passports ASAP…but how? And where? Changes were made in 2017, narrowing the options for where you can apply for a passport in and around Wichita – so here’s everything you need to know:

Where to Apply for A Passport in Wichita

There are several stations in and around Wichita where you can apply for a new passport, including post offices & local libraries.

1. First, you will need to fill out Form DS 11 for each person in your family requiring a new passport – simply open it in a new window, fill the forms, and then print. DO NOT SIGN! You will sign them in-person in front of a witness when you apply. Please keep in mind that minors must apply in-person with both living parents or legal guardians. 

2. Next, gather your supporting documents.

If you are applying for a passport for a minor child (16 and under), you’ll need a completed DS 11 form, the child’s evidence of US citizenship, parents’ or guardians’ proof of relationship to child, photo ID of parents/guardians or child, and a passport photo.

If you are applying for a passport for an adult, you will need a completed DS 11 form, evidence of US citizenship, proof of identity, a photocopy of the identification document, and a recent passport photo.

3. Finally, select your passport office location and determine whether they accept walk-ins or require appointments. If you will need them to take your passport photo, be sure that they offer that service, too!

Be prepared to pay the necessary fees at the time that you apply for your passports. Acceptance fees and passport photo fees can be paid by check, money order, credit or debit card. However, fees required by the US Department of State can only be paid by personal checks, certified checks, traveler’s checks, cashiers checks or money order – no debit or credit cards. So bring your checkbook!

After your application has been submitted, you can track your progress here.


Where to Get A Passport Photo in Wichita

From a mom’s point of view, the easiest option is to get your photo taken at the time you apply in-person. This saves you from doing it yourself or making an extra stop at Walgreen’s, though it doesn’t save money. That’s not your only choice, though!

  • DIY Passport Photos – If you have a camera that takes high resolution photos, you can hang a white sheet as a background & snap your photos in front of it (cropping to the correct dimensions & following these guidelines).
  • Evergreen Public Library – Call (316) 303-8181 to schedule an appointment at least 24 hours in advance. Appointments can be scheduled noon-6:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday and noon-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday. No appointments will be scheduled on Sunday.
  • On-site USPS Passport Photos – The staff will plop you or your little one on a stool in front of a screen and snap your photo for $15. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy.
  • Wichita stores offering passport photos: Snappy Photo, Walgreen’s, and UPS 

Other Passport FAQs

I’m short on time! Where can I get an expedited passport in Wichita?

Your best bet is a visit to FastPost Passport online. If you need an expedited renewal, child’s passport, adult passport, or replacement passport, they can get you fast tracked and cleared in as few as 24 hours (longer if a visa is needed).

Where can I renew my passport in Wichita?

Renewing a passport is much easier (and faster!) than applying for a new one. You can fill out a form, gather your documents, and mail them! You are not required to appear in person unless you plan to travel within 2 weeks. Click here to download the necessary forms and find out where to send them.

Where can I get additional pages for my passport?

Lucky you! #jetsetterproblems If your book overfloweth with stamps, you will need to apply for a passport renewal. Yes, you’re right – in the past we could get additional pages! But as of January 1, 2016, the U.S. Department of State no longer offers extra pages as a matter of security. Adults must apply for a renewal, and minors must apply for a NEW passportFrequent travelers are encouraged to choose the new 52-page book (rather than the traditional 24-page book) at no extra cost.

How do I change the name on my passport?

Are you making plans for your honeymoon? Your best bet is not to change your name legally until you get back. For everyone else (marriage, divorce, adoption, court order, etc.), here’s what to do: First, keep in mind that this process can take 4-6 weeks and plan accordingly. Second, complete the application form. Third, gather your supporting documents.  Fourth, package and send (unless you are required to submit Form DS-11, in which case you’ll need to go in person to an acceptance facility).

My passport contains an error – how do I get it corrected?

Perhaps your name is misspelled, your chip is defective, your pages are out of order or your gender is wrong – but it’s not your fault! What do you do? First, fill out Passport Form DS 5504. Then submit the form along with your passport, a letter explaining the error and giving corrected information, proof of the correct information (if the error is on your personal data page), and a new passport photo if more than 90 days have passed since your passport was originally issued. If it has been less than 90 days since your passport was issued, send it to the agency that processed your original passport. If it has been more than 90 days, send it to the address on Passport Form DS 5504. For more information, visit this page.


Make sure you never miss out: subscribe to our weekly Wichita Moms newsletter! Be the first to know about our exclusive events, special offers and discounts, neighborhood group activities and, of course, local resources
and parenting voices powered by local Wichita moms!


Erin Bartel
Erin is a marketing consultant in Wichita KS. She spends her days helping businesses and non-profits navigate the ever-changing waters of digital & local marketing and homeschooling her kids. She and her daughter also own Sassy Squid Ink, an imprint designing notebooks, journals, and sketchbooks. A mother of 2 happily married to her college sweetheart, Erin's hobbies include bribing herself to exercise, traveling with (and without) her family, and trying to remember where she hid the chocolate.