After five years of sell-out performances, Midwest Dance Mechanix’ Short & Suite Nutcracker is back for its 6th season of making magical holiday memories!
Whether it’s a long standing tradition or a first time experience, The Short & Suite Nutcracker will delight guests of all ages with the sweetness of the season. From the moment you step into the festive lobby, magic & memories abound!
Voted Wichita’s Best Annual Event in 2021 and 2022, Midwest Dance Mechanix’ abbreviated production of The Nutcracker has established itself as one of Wichita’s holiday “must do” events; especially for young children.
Here are the Top 5 Reasons this event has been winning over the Wichita community:
- It’s short and “suite”… the perfect length to delight guests and keep them engaged. Jana Owen, Artistic Director, wanted to offer the Wichita community a Nutcracker option that was appealing to audiences of all ages, including very young children. “To me, the Nutcracker is magical! Watching the story unfold through the eyes of a child is my favorite”, said Owen. Her “suite” twist on the the classic holiday ballet will be performed in an abbreviated format, utilizing voiced narration during the musical interludes to keep children engaged in the magical story of dancing dolls, sparkling snowflakes and mischievous mice. “My vision was to create an artistic story that could be enjoyed by very young children as well as the young at heart; by ballet experts as well as first time audience members”, said Owen. The show running time is approximately 75 minutes, including an intermission.
- It’s more than just a ballet… it’s an interactive memory-making experience! Owen wanted guests to experience even more holiday magic so she’s offering a variety of memory making experiences for guest to enjoy before and after the performance.” These “bonus features” include children’s Santa “Wish Lists”, live visits with Santa, autographs and picture opportunities with costumed cast members, pointe shoe decorating kits, a “Land of Sweets Shoppe” filled with delectable fresh baked treats and beautiful confections from local bakers, shopping opportunities and more! Even the children’s playbill is interactive; including both educational and entertaining activities for kids to enjoy during the show and at home.
- Wichita ballet legends, Stan and Sharon Rogers, are a part of the creative team. Owen has teamed up with former Friends University Ballet Director, Stan Rogers, to create the beautiful and classic choreography and costuming for the show. Owen and Ballet Director, Trudy Souba, are former students of Rogers and together, they have performed in and produced countless Nutcracker productions. The foursome are nothing less than a creative ballet “dream team” and it will be a treat to watch their vision and artistry come to life on the stage!
- You can take a peek “Behind the Curtain.” Have you ever wondered what goes on “behind the curtain”? Audience members will have an opportunity to take a “behind the scenes” look into the making of the show. From cast interviews to real life bloopers, this short filmed feature, shown before the performance begins, provides additional entertainment and context for how the magic of the Nutcracker comes to life!
- It’s beautiful, magical and well worth the modest ticket price! While the performance may be short in length, it is certainly NOT short on professionalism, technique, and pure holiday magic! Quality dancing, beautiful costuming and creative choreography mixed with the interactive “extras” create the perfect recipe for a treasured family tradition! “I hope the audience enjoys a complete holiday experience when they attend our Nutcracker and that they leave with visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads”, said Owen. There is not a bad seat in the house, but space is limited so advance ticket purchasing is strongly encouraged!
Friday, December 1st at 6:30 pm
Saturday, December 2nd at 2:30 pm & 6:30 pm
Sunday, December 3rd at 4:30 pm
Ticket Prices: Adults – $28; Children – $16
Wichita Center for Performing Arts | 9112 E. Central Avenue
For additional holiday festivities and things to do, be sure to visit our Guide to the Holidays!