How to Register Your Homeschool in Wichita (and Homeschooling Laws in Kansas)


Is homeschooling legal in Kansas? Yes! While “homeschools” are not a recognized entity in the state of Kansas, homeschooling is perfectly legal. Your homeschool must be registered as a “Non-Accredited Private School” with the Kansas State Department of Education (unless you are using a virtual school program). You can pull your kids from school and register your Non-Accredited Private School at any time during the year – there are no deadlines or restrictions.

  • There is a simple online form to fill out and submit – be sure to print a copy for your records because you will receive no confirmation from the state. You do not need to give them the ages or names of your students, nor do you need to register or renew annually. Once is enough!
  • If you are withdrawing your kids from a public or private school in order to homeschool this year, you will need to send a letter to the school informing them of your intention. Keep a copy of this for your records as well.
  • If your kids are enrolling in an online public school or virtual school, you do not need to register as a homeschool. 

Non-Accredited Private School Registration (ONLINE)

Sample Kansas Withdrawal Letter

Homeschooling in Kansas Facts Sheet PDF

Click here to return to our
Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling in Wichita!

Previous article5 Easy (and Free) Summer Water Activities for Kids
Next articleHomeschool Co-Ops & Student Groups in Wichita
Wichita Mom's Content Director, Erin owns Elite Media Ink, a marketing + PR agency in Wichita. She spends her days helping local businesses and non-profits navigate the ever-changing waters of marketing & social media. A mother of 2, married to her college sweetheart, Erin's hobbies include bribing herself to exercise, traveling with (and without) her family, and trying to remember where she hid the chocolate.


  1. Is there a Kansas Directory of Schools?
    My wife teaches at a Co-op for home schoolers. The mother of one of her students
    passed away last October. My wife and her partner are making a transcript for this
    student and we need the name of their registered school. The student’s father is
    not as knowledgeable as he should be and does not know the name.
    We (obviously) know the students last name and we are hoping to search an on-line
    directory by name. Thanks.

    • Hi, Mark. There is no directory of schools – you’ll have to contact the Kansas State Department of Education directly to explain the situation and ask them for the school name they have on file for the student.

Comments are closed.