Somewhere between the camps, family vacations, and stops at the closest ice cream shop, you’re going to need a few budget-friendly boredom busters. Here’s a list of free things to do with kids in Wichita this summer!
Please check with each of these spots to make sure that you are comfortable with their COVID-19 restrictions. Social distancing regulations may still apply.
Free Things To Do With Kids in Wichita This Summer
☀️ Free Admission on Sundays at Old Cowtown Museum – Step back in time and enjoy a wagon ride or try a sarsparilla at Old Cowtown Museum, admission is FREE on Sundays from April – October.
☀️ Ballet Wichita’s FREE performances of Carnival of Animals in the park! Carnival of Animals is a colorful journey through the animal kingdom set to the beloved music of Camille Saint-Saens. Bring your lawn chairs & blankets, and wear your favorite costume and join the fun as Ballet Wichita dancers bring a whimsical menagerie of animals to life!
- Wed., June 9, 7pm | Wichita, Naftzger Park, 601 E. Douglas Ave., Wichita
- Thur. June 10, 7pm | Mulvane, Main Street Park, 400 E. Main St.
- Friday, June 11, 7pm | Newton, Athletic Park, 700 W. 1st St.
- Saturday, June 12, 7pm | Andover, Andover Capitol Federal Amphitheater, 1607 E Central Ave
- Saturday, June 12, 7pm | El Dorado, Forest Park, 900 N Taylor St.
- Sunday, June 13, 7pm | Winfield, Island Park, 200 Main St.
☀️ Get your sweat on with a free workout at Bradley Fair! There are lots of adult-friendly options, but these 2 are great for moms & little ones:
☀️ Attend one of 5 FREE family concerts in Naftzger Park hosted by the Wichita Public Library!
- Monday, June 7: Jim “Mr. Stinky Feet” Cosgrove
- Monday, June 14: The Flying Debris Show featuring Richard Holmgren
- Monday, June 21: Sugar Free All Stars
- Monday, July 12: Will Parker
- Monday, July 26: Pint Size Polka
Bring your lawn chairs and blankets and enjoy the sunshine. Each performer will play two shows: 10:30 a.m. at Naftzger Park and 3 p.m. at Clapp Park.
☀️ Attend Metropolitan Ballet’s FREE performance of Alice in Wonderland in the park! Join Alice for her adventures in wonderland as she meets the White Rabbit, Mad Hatter, and even the Queen of Hearts! Enjoy this free performance in the great outdoors with the whole family. Bring lawn chairs, blankets, and even dress as your favorite character while you view this childhood classic re-told as a ballet.
- Friday, June 11 at 7pm | Riggs Park
- Saturday, June 12 at 11am | Garvin Park
- Saturday, June 12 at 7pm | Maize Community Building
☀️ Track down the Little Free Library nearest you! Donate the books your kids have outgrown and pick out some new ones to fill your shelves! There are Little Free Libraries all around Wichita – check out our map here.
☀️ Take A Ride on the Q-Line – These buses (the trolleys have retired) are FREE and run loops through downtown Wichita, the Douglas Design District, and College Hill!
☀️ Shakespeare in the Park, anyone? The Wichita Shakespeare Company will present Richard III in various parks around Wichita in June. Admission is free; bring your lawn chairs or picnic blankets!
- Friday, June 11 | College Hill Park, Wichita
- Saturday, June 12 | Central Riverside Park, Wichita
- Sunday, June 13 | Andover Central Park, Andover
- Friday, June 18 | Central Riverside Park, Wichita
Saturday, June 19 | Hap McLean Park, Park City
- Sunday, June 20 | Buffalo Park, Wichita
- Friday, June 25 | College Hill Park, Wichita
- Sat, June 26 | High Park Amphitheater, Derby
- Sunday, June 27 | University Friends Church
☀️ Visit the Riverside Park, Zoo & Splash Park – Tour the outdoor wildlife exhibit, go wild on the playground, and cool off in the interactive water water fountains! Make a day of it and bring a picnic lunch.
☀️ Attend one of 6 concerts in the park in partnership between the Wichita Symphony and Wichita Park & Recreation on June 5th. All performances are free to attend. Bring your blankets and chairs to listen to the music in comfort. Masks required.
1:00-1:30pm – Pawnee Prairie Park
1:30-2:00pm – Central Riverside Park
2:00-2:30pm – West Douglas Park
2:30-3:00pm – Murdock Park
3:00-3:30pm – OJ Watson Park
3:30-4:00pm – Chisholm Creek Park
☀️ Use our map and go on a Wichita Mural Scavenger Hunt! This is one of our favorite free things to do with kids in Wichita! Use the Q-Line trolley or walk and take some ICT kid pics in front of our city’s favorite murals!
☀️ Don’t miss the Waterwalk Fountain – Catch a “dancing” water show at the Waterwalk Fountain in downtown Wichita.
☀️ FREE outdoor concerts are taking place every Thursday in June at Bradley Fair! Some seating is free/open while other options require registration. Shows start at 7:30 – bring your blankets & lawn chairs!
- June 3rd: Kim Scott – A #1 Billboard-charting smooth jazz flutist from Birmingham, Alabama
- June 10th: Musicians of the Wichita Symphony – An orchestra made up of experienced and skilled musicians from across the globe
- June 17th: Joseph Vincelli – A prolific saxophonist and Bradley Fair favorite from Dallas, Texas
- June 24th: Injoy Fountain & Arthur Gunn – Injoy Fountain of The Voice and Arthur Gunn of American Idol, both of whom are talented Wichita residents
- July 1st: Kayla Waters – An award-winning urban jazz keyboardist and daughter of saxophonist Kim Waters, from Clinton, Maryland
OK Kids at GNPC
June 5th, 10am-1pm
- fishing at Island Pond
- learning and practicing archery
- a close encounter with something scaly!
- feeding the turtles, ducks, and other critters along the creek
- answering riddles for prizes
☀️ Visit one of Wichita’s 12 free splash parks & water playgrounds – Check out our Splash Park Round-Up to find the water playgrounds closest to you – or mix it up and try one in another town!
☀️ Free Family ArtVenture Event at Wichita Art Museum – In honor of the exhibition Celebrating 1920: Women Artists from the Wichita Art Museum Collection, join the Wichita Art Museum May 22nd from 11am-3pm for art activities inspired by female artists as we celebrate the 101st anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote!
WAM is always FREE on Saturdays!
☀️ Go hiking to find Wichita’s waterfalls! – Load up the fam and go hunting for our local waterfalls while you hike through Kansas nature! Hint: they’re easiest to find after a good rain!
☀️ Sign Up Now for Kids Bowl Free – Register your kids for 2 free games of bowling every day! Participating Wichita bowling alleys include The Alley, Northrock Lanes, Seneca Bowl, and West Acres Bowl.
☀️ Wichita Public Library Storytimes – Participate in WPL’s summer reading program, attend a storytime, puppet show, craft time or party! Classes and book clubs are also available for adults. Click here for their full calendar of events.
☀️ Keeper of the Plains/Troll/Lighting of Ring of Fire – Visit Wichita’s most well-known landmark, the Keeper of the Plains and stay for the lighting of the Ring of Fire at 9pm! Brave souls can search for the Wichita Troll while you’re there.
☀️ Pack a picnic lunch and head out for a park hop! These are our team’s favorite parks in and around ICT. Bored of Wichita parks? Bet you haven’t visited all 6 of these out-of-town parks that are totally worth the drive!