Somewhere between the camps and family vacations, trips to the zoo and stops at the closest ice cream shop, you’re going to need a few budget-friendly boredom busters. Here’s a list of free things to do with kids in Wichita this summer!
Please check with each of these spots to make sure that they have re-opened for summer after COVID-19 restrictions. Social distancing regulations may still apply.
2. Take A Tour on the Q-Line – These turn-of-the century style trolleys are free and run loops through downtown Wichita & the Douglas Design District.
3. Riverside Park, Zoo & Splash Park – Tour the outdoor wildlife exhibit, go wild on the playground, and cool off in the interactive water water fountains!
4. Use our map and go on a Wichita Mural Scavenger Hunt!
5. Waterwalk Fountain – Catch a “dancing” water show at the Waterwalk Fountain in downtown Wichita.
7. Splash Park Hop – Check out our Splash Park Round-Up to find the water feature closest to you – or mix it up and try one in another town!
9. Bubbles Mania Family ArtVenture ― A bubbly fest for the senses on Saturday June 27th! Art. Music. Bubbles. Oh my! Explore all that the Living Room has to offer, and we’re taking the fun outside too! Food truck yummies, including Big Lemon, Kona Ice, Funky Monkey Munchies. Lawn-game action to festive tunes spun by DJ Carbon.
10. Wichita Art Museum Sunset Yoga (all levels) – Experience a free yoga class on Saturday, June 13th in the breath-taking outdoor Dan and Frank Carney Sculpture Terrace with gorgeous views of downtown Wichita.
Note: the class is on Monday evening when the museum is closed and is weather permitting. In case of inclement weather, class will not be held. Please bring your own yoga mat and water bottle.
Social distancing is advised for this outdoor activity for a maximum of 90 participants
11. Chase some waterfalls! – Load up the fam and chase some waterfalls while you hike through Kansas nature!
12. Wichita Public Library – Participate in WPL’s summer reading program, attend a storytime, puppet show, craft time or party! Classes and book clubs are also available for adults. Click here for their full calendar of events.
13. Keeper of the Plains/Troll/Lighting of Ring of Fire – Visit Wichita’s most well-known landmark, the Keeper of the Plains and stay for the lighting of the Ring of Fire at 9pm! Brave souls can search for the Wichita Troll while you’re there.
14. Pack a picnic lunch and head out for a park hop! These are our team’s favorite parks in and around ICT.